SafeAssign is Blackboard’s plagiarism detection software. Instructors can obtain a SafeAssign originality report for student submissions in two ways:
- Set up SafeAssign for a particular assignment in advance
- Submit a single suspicious assignment through SafeAsssign Direct Submit after-the-fact
Set up SafeAssign for a particular assignment
- Start by creating assignment in the relevant content area by clicking on Assessments and then Assignment OR, if the assignment has already been created, select “Edit” from the dropdown menu to adjust SafeAssign settings.
- Click on Submission Details to display the SafeAssign menu options.
- Select Individual or Group Submission
- Note: Groups must already be established in course in order to use Group Submission. The final grade will also be shared with all group members.
- Select Number of Attempts. If allowing multiple or unlimited attempts also identify which attempt to score.
- Select Check submissions for plagiarism using Safe Assign under Plagiarism Tools. Second and third check boxes are optional.
- Adjust any other assignment settings as needed, then hit Submit.
- Once a student submits an assignment, the instructor will be able to view the originality report while grading. Read more on interpreting the originality report.
Use Direct Submit to Submit a Single Assignment or Paper to SafeAssign
- To obtain an originality report for a specific file, Select SafeAssign from the Course Management menu under Course Tools.
- Select Direct Submit, then Submit Paper to upload a file.
After submitting an upload, the page will likely need to be refreshed before the SafeAssign (SA) report is available to view: